Last updated on June 23rd, 2023
France is a popular romantic destination and is the most ethnically diverse country in Europe. This country’s extraordinary museums, art galleries, and fine cuisine are well-known tourist destinations across the globe! France’s economy is expected to expand by 2.9% and the number of tourist arrivals is rapidly increasing. By the end of 2022, 33 million people are expected to visit Paris alone! Relatively, cities in France have the highest occupancy rate along with whopping annual revenue of €44,060 according to Airbnb occupancy rates by city. With these facts provided, starting an Airbnb business in France is a practical investment to earn money this year! In this article, we featured all the things you need to consider before starting an Airbnb business in France. This includes rules & regulations, different kinds of mortgages, upfront and ongoing costs, and the like. Continue reading to learn more!
France’s Rules & Regulations
Before starting an Airbnb business in France, it’s important to understand the certain rules and regulations that you have to consider. Here are some of the major short-term regulations that you have to follow in France:
– You don’t need to register your accommodation if:
You rent a single room in your primary residence.
You rent a bed and breakfast (chambre d’hôtes), a hotel or another hotel-like type of accommodation.
You rent only on “bail mobilité” (mobility lease) scheme for a minimum of one month to a tenant justifying, on the effective date of the lease, to be in professional training, in higher studies, apprenticeship contract, internship, in voluntary engagement within the framework of civic service, or on a temporary assignment in the context of his professional activity.
You rent for long-term stays only ie. for a minimum of 1 year.
– Whether you rent your main or secondary residence for a period of less than or more than 120 days per year in Paris, it is mandatory to make a declaration to the Town Hall (Mairie de Paris).
Rules & Regulations per city in France
Since there are various short-term regulations per city in France, you will also have to go through each law to make sure that your expectations are met. And if you are non-french speaking and having trouble translating the documents needed for the startup of your business, then it will be best to get a french to english translation services to help you process all the needed documents. Learn more about the general legislation, short-term rental policies, Airbnb data, and other relevant info for each major city in France:
1. Paris Rules & Regulations
Paris is known for its gorgeous, imposing monuments and iconic structures such as the Eiffel Tower.Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Paris:
– Registration is NOT necessary if you’re only offering private rooms for short-term rental,
but it is necessary if you’re renting an entire property, and if the property is your primary or secondary residence.
– If you manage multiple listings, you’ll need to register each listing individually, receiving a registration number for each property you intend to list
– Rentals with “bail mobilité” (mobility lease) do NOT need to register
– If you plan to host guests throughout the year, you will need to convert your accommodation’s destination status by filing an application for urban planning permission to the City Hall.
– Subsidized housing usually has rules that prohibit subletting without permission
2. Nice Rules & Regulations
Nice has everything you need such as stunning beaches, sensational bars and restaurants, amazing views, and wonderful culture. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Nice:
– Periodic checks will be conducted by certified agents to track down fraudulent landlords and property owners
– Your main residence will be granted to operate, however, it is limited to 120 days and up to 23,000 euros per year
– Application for authorization is mandatory if you will put up your primary residence as a ‘property rental furnished for tourist’
3. Marseille Rules & Regulations
Marseille is a city that has its own unique culture and is proud of its differences from the rest of France. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Marseille:
– The letting on a commercial basis of an entire property can’t be used as a primary residence to visitors staying for short time periods
– All rental contracts are overseen by an official observatory (similar to Paris, Lyon, Ajaccio, and Archachon)
– No future rental contract is allowed to charge more than 20% higher than the fixed median rent for an apartment’s price band
4. Lyon Rules & Regulations
Lyon is known for its historical and architectural landmarks and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Lyon:
– The rental of the principal residence must NOT exceed 120 days per year
– The authorization for short-term rental is limited in time and will not exceed for more than 9 years
– Required to register the dwelling at the town hall to obtain a registration number
5. Cannes Rules & Regulations
Cannes is a commune located in the Alpes-Maritimes department and the host city of the annual Cannes Film Festival. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Cannes:
– Prohibited to rent for more than 120 days per year if the accommodation you wish to rent is your main residence
– Required to declare your furnished tourist accommodation to the Cannes town hall
6. Montpellier Rules & Regulations
Montpellier is a city that has the strongest economic growth in France. In 2017, it was nominated for the Best Emerging Culture City of the Year award. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Montpellier:
– Required to register as a furnished apartment up for rent in Montpellier town hall
– Prohibited to rent for more than 120 days per year
– For secondary housing, rentals are limited to “one per fiscal household” and for a period limited to six years
7. Toulouse Rules & Regulations
Toulouse is known as the “Pink City” because of its brick buildings that are found all throughout the city. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Toulouse:
– Required to declare your furnished tourist accommodation to the Toulouse town hall.
– If your accommodation is your main residence (owner or tenant), you can rent it furnished (in whole or in part) for short periods within the limit of 120 days per year.
– The tourist tax should be collected and is charged per person & per night. This varies according to the type of accommodation and its classification.
8. Bordeaux Rules & Regulations
Bordeaux is best-known for its wine-related activities. The capital city of the New-Aquitaine region is world-famous for its vineyards and top-notch wine labels. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Bordeaux:
– You have the right to rent your main residence for only up to 120 days a year.
– Required to declare your furnished tourist accommodation to the Bordeaux town hall.
– In a primary residence, you are obliged to change tenants after 8 months.
– Required to apply for a change of use authorization from Bordeaux City Hall. This allows you to change your second home from residential to commercial use.
9. La Rochelle Rules & Regulations
La Rochelle is a seaside city on the Bay of Biscay, in the central part of France’s west coast which is essentially built around its harbor. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in La Rochelle:
– You have the right to rent your main residence for only up to 120 days a year
– Required to declare your furnished tourist accommodation online
– if you are the owner of more than 3 accommodations offered for short-term rental, it is advisable to contact the Economic Development, Technopolitan Action and Tourism service of the Agglomeration Community
10. Strasbourg Rules & Regulations
Strasbourg is a seaside city on the Bay of Biscay, in the central part of France’s west coast which is essentially built around its harbor. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Strasbourg:
– Local regulations limit the number of apartments per owner
– Required to apply for a change of use (valid for 6 years only) authorization from Strasbourg City Hall: this allows you to change your second home from residential to commercial use
– Required to register with the Strasbourg town hall with a view to exercising the short-term rental activity
11. Antibes Rules & Regulations
Antibes is a vibrant and culturally rich seaside town offering an incredible yachting experience in France. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Antibes:
– The tourist tax should be collected and is charged per person & per night – varies according to the type of accommodation and its classification.
– Required to apply for a change of use authorization from Antibes City Hall: this allows you to change your second home from residential to commercial use.
– Required to register with the Antibes town hall with a view to exercising the short-term rental activity
12. Nantes Rules & Regulations
Nantes is a city full of interesting landmarks like the castle and the cathedral, with plenty of trendy venues and technological fantasy to enjoy. Here are some of the Airbnb rules in Nantes:
– The lessor’s main residence is NOT subject to the change of use if the short-term rental does not exceed 120 days per year.
– Required to apply for a change of use authorization from Nantes City Hall. This allows you to change your second home from residential to commercial use.
– Required to register with the Antibes town hall with a view to exercising the short-term rental activity
Purchasing an Investment Property in France
You can purchase an investment property in France by considering the different kinds of mortgages, upfront and ongoing costs, and other expenses associated with your preferred property.
|EXPENSES | FEES||AMOUNT|
|Notary Fees||3-10% (+20% VAT)|
|Registration Fees||0.60% - 4.89%|
|Land Registry Salary||0.10%|
|Real Estate Agent’s Fees||1.50% - 5% (+20% VAT)|
Airbnb Rental Arbitrage in France
If you prefer to rent a property instead of owning one, then you can definitely do so through rental arbitrage in France! You can expect to spend around €2,900 to €4,700. This cost consists of everything including the deposit, furnishing, amenities, legal paperwork, and LLC Incorporation. Learn everything you need to know through the ultimate rental arbitrage guide & start earning profit anywhere in France!
How to Find a Profitable Area in France
Location analysis must be one of your top priorities when deciding on a rental location in order to increase profitability during such volatile times, especially while the pandemic continues to impact the rental market.
The best way to find a profitable area in France is by looking at an accurate Airbnb Market Dashboard & start comparing the profit of your competitors in your preferred location.
Essential Airbnb Data in France
The majority of cities in France have been recognized from all over the world for perfection & their primary impact on tourism & economic standing. This includes the cities of Bordeaux, Paris, Cannes, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier, Nice, and Toulouse based on recent research about occupancy rates by city.
5 Excellent Airbnb Hosting Tips in France
1. Learn About Startup Costs
To begin with, it’s important to have an overview of Airbnb Startup Costs in order to prepare for the total expenses. Here’s a summary of the overall expenses per amenities:
|List of Amenities||Expenses|
|Room Amenities (two-bedroom)||€3,977 per unit|
|Cameras||€2,485 per property|
|Decorations||€99,44 per room|
|Fresh Paint (with labor and supplies)||€1,988 per unit|
|Misc. Supplies||€497 per unit|
Relatively, it’s important to learn about the process of Airbnb investment, legal considerations, and key metrics for successful Airbnb hosting. With the help of the Airbnb Investment Guide, you’ll be able to get started and have professional knowledge in starting an Airbnb business in France!
However, if you are on a limited budget, you can still fulfill your dreams of starting an Airbnb! Start by choosing the right location, creating a business plan, and being able to properly start an Airbnb with a minimal budget.
2. Utilize the Best Hosting Tools
Whether you are a newbie or a pro in the Airbnb industry, there’s no denying that Airbnb hosting tools play a huge role in the overall success of your business. Not only will these tools help you save time and energy, but they will also help you get better reviews and earn more revenue. This includes property management tools, message automation, and market research software.
Managing Airbnb listings alone can already be a difficult task especially if you don’t have much time to focus your attention on the properties that you’re handling all at the same time.
Utilizing short-term rental data analytics such as Airbtics, Mashvisor, AirDNA, and AllTheRooms can help you present & analyze data to create a strategic analysis for your Airbnb market research. You can also look at the 5 Best AirDNA alternatives in 2022 with vast free & paid options.
3. Essential Airbnb Amenities
Once you have set your eyes on a particular property in France and successfully went through all the necessary documentation, don’t forget to add the essential Airbnb Amenities!
Although it’s not necessary to add High-End Airbnb Amenities, you’d be surprised to know that there are affordable ones with great quality on the market. Relatively, there are also suitable amenities for vacation rental homes including a sweet welcome package & a local guidebook.
Finally, if you’re simply forgetful and need a summarized checklist of Airbnb Amenities, feel free to download it in PDF!
4. Effective Strategies for Promoting Airbnb Listings
It’s a given fact that constantly improving your listings will help to maximize your Airbnb revenue & get the highest occupancy rates. The best way to showcase the details of your Airbnb listing is through the power of advertisement! Some of the effective strategies for Promoting Airbnb Listings are:
– Prioritize Booking Channels
– Promote Airbnb listings by ranking on SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
– Coordinate with your Local Tourism Council
– Ask your Recent Guests to Leave Feedback
5. Know the Right Words to Say with Airbnb Message Templates
It could be a struggle to know what to say when your property is fully-booked with guests! Earn their trust & win your guest’s hearts by sending out the perfect Airbnb Welcome Letter Templates
Most importantly, once your listing is up on the Airbnb platform, hosts will be evaluated according to their response rates. This means that the faster you respond to inquiries or concerns, the better!
By looking at Airbnb Message Templates for Hosts, you can easily prepare the saved replies according to their inquiry, and will automatically be sent to your guests.