Most profitable Airbnb locations Australia
Australia is undeniably one of the global destinations visited by most tourists. Particularly during the summertime! Not only does it offer pristine beachfront areas, but also lakefront, camping sites, cabins, and many others.
In fact, Airbnb News recently revealed the most-searched beach areas in Australia. They even stated that now, during the winter time in January, is the perfect time to become a host and earn a side income!
In this article, we’ll take a look at Airbnb data in Australia to help you make an informed investment decision. This includes potential annual revenue, seasonality, and Airbnb occupancy rates in Australia.
Bonus: we also added the top 10 most profitable Airbnb cities in Australia – continue reading to learn more!
Why Invest in Airbnb Properties in Australia?
Some of the favorite attractions in Australia are Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, and Bondi Beach among others. Investing in a property is an exciting journey, but it’s important to look at facts too. Here’s why we recommend investing in Airbnb properties in Australia:
1. Offers Undervalued Properties
There are several undervalued properties in Australia that are excellent for Airbnb.
For instance, Perth has the most undervalued properties in all Australian capital cities based on Investor Kit. The median property price in Perth costs A$510,000. This is 64% less than the maximum price that a local household can afford.
Buying an expensive property in a high-revenue market can take more than 10 years for your investment to recoup. It’s important to find undervalued properties for Airbnb if you want to generate a good return. And the good news is Australia offers undervalued properties for your Airbnb!
2. Economic stability
Australia is a highly developed country with low unemployment rates & accessible transportation. There is also a notable high demand for rental properties. Particularly because of young professionals and entrepreneurs working within the city centers.
Investing in a property in Australia can be a perfect source of income for Airbnb hosts. Primarily because of its stable and flourishing economy.
3. Excellent Source of Passive Income
Investing in Airbnb properties in Australia can definitely be a great source of income. This is why more and more Airbnb hosts join the community each year!
Airbnb properties can generate more money than traditional renting. This is because you can adjust your prices per night according to seasonality, demand, local events, and others.
According to Airbtics, an Airbnb host in Australia can expect the following:
- Average Airbnb occupancy rate in Australia: 53%
- Average Daily Rate Australia: A$278
- Average Annual Revenue Australia: A$48,760
Top 10 Most Profitable Airbnb Cities in Australia
Before you invest in a particular city or neighborhood, it’s best to make a comparison first! This will help you gauge the budget and meet your financial goals. Discover Airbnb data Australia:
1. Sydney, New South Wales
Known as the capital of New South Wales, Sydney has certainly impressed millions of people around the world. With over 2.2 million tourist arrivals in 2022, this city will not disappoint! Airbnb hosts can expect the following when investing in a property in Sydney:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$737,500
- Average Annual Revenue in Sydney: A$57,168
- Gross Rental Yield: 7.75%
- Average Daily Rate in Sydney: A$252
- Occupancy Rate in Sydney: 61%
- Seasonality: 51%
2. Melbourne, Victoria
Melbourne is home to Australia’s major sports and cultural events. Because of its rich history and top-notch universities, this city has become more of a favorite tourist destination. Check out the Airbnb data in Melbourne:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$542,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Melbourne: A$51,875
- Gross Rental Yield: 9.57%
- Average Daily Rate in Melbourne: A$212
- Airbnb Occupancy Rate Melbourne: 67%
- Seasonality: 33%
If you’re looking to experience authentic Australian adventure, Brisbane is one of the best cities to go to! Its world-renowned Australia Zoo and City Botanic Gardens will certainly not disappoint. Here’s what you can expect if you invest in a property in Brisbane:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$325,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Brisbane: A$48,880
- Gross Rental Yield: 15.04%
- Average Daily Rate in Brisbane: A$209
- Occupancy Rate in Brisbane: 63%
- Seasonality: 52%
If you are looking for a vibrant city life with multi-cultural cuisine, Adelaide is the best city for this! This city also offers pristine beach areas and fun outdoor activities that most tourists would dig into. Discover the Airbnb statistics in Adelaide:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$375,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Adelaide: A$57,451
- Gross Rental Yield: 15.32%
- Average Daily Rate in Adelaide: A$190
- Occupancy Rate in Adelaide: 82%
- Seasonality: 29%
Aside from the fact that there are several undervalued properties in this city, Perth can offer so much more! This city is surrounded by Australia’s most fascinating nature. Known for being the most isolated capital in the world, Perth still offers bright and sunny weather. Here’s what you need to know when investing in a property in Perth:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$370,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Perth: A$45,760
- Gross Rental Yield: 12.36%
- Average Daily Rate in Perth: A$135
- Occupancy Rate in Perth: 87%
- Seasonality: 30%
Darwin is the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory and is one of the fastest growing economies in the country. From museums and art galleries to beachfront areas, this city is a crowd favorite! Based on Airbtics, this city has the highest annual revenue of A$67,443 for a 1-bedroom property alone. Check out the Airbnb data in Darwin:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$430,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Darwin: A$67,443
- Gross Rental Yield: 15.68%
- Average Daily Rate in Darwin: A$220
- Occupancy Rate in Darwin: 69%
- Seasonality: 82%
7. Gold Coast, Queensland
Gold Coast is a favorite summer destination for most local & international tourists. Because of its theme parks and peaceful beach areas, this city has attracted more than 4.2 million visitors yearly. Before investing in a property in Gold Coast, here’s what you can expect:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$529,500
- Average Annual Revenue in Gold Coast: A$53,651
- Gross Rental Yield: 10.13%
- Average Daily Rate in Gold Coast: A$200
- Occupancy Rate in Gold Coast: 74%
- Seasonality: 43%
8. Newcastle, New South Wales
Looking for a gateway to the Hunter Valley? Newcastle is the second-largest city in NSW and has several cafes and restaurants that digital nomads can enjoy. Discover what you can earn in Newcastle with the Airbnb data below:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$695,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Newcastle: A$53,669
- Gross Rental Yield: 7.72%
- Average Daily Rate in Newcastle: A$220
- Occupancy Rate in Newcastle: 67%
- Seasonality: 34%
9. Cairns, Queensland
Cairns is best known for exploring Australian nature. From waterfalls, rainforests, to snorkeling – this city has you covered! Most of the tourists and students visiting Cairns are up for discovering the Great Barrier Reef. Here’s what you need to know before investing in a property in Cairns:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$399,500
- Average Annual Revenue in Cairns: A$45,289
- Gross Rental Yield: 11.33%
- Average Daily Rate in Cairns: A$155
- Occupancy Rate in Cairns: 77%
- Seasonality: 62%
10. Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Known for being one of the most popular holiday destinations in Australia, Sunshine Coast is truly a tourist favorite! This region has the most pristine natural environments and offers a laid-back environment. Check out the Airbnb data in Sunshine Coast:
- Average Property Price (1-bedroom property): A$650,000
- Average Annual Revenue in Sunshine Coast: A$
- Gross Rental Yield:
- Average Daily Rate in Sunshine Coast: A$302
- Occupancy Rate in Sunshine Coast: 68%
- Seasonality: 30%
Each neighborhood in the following Australian cities has various property prices and profitability. Therefore, if you want to explore other areas, you definitely can! With the help of an Airbnb profit calculator, you can discover profitable properties and make informed decisions.
Now more than ever is the best time to take advantage of Airbnb analytics tools to leverage your game in the short-term rental industry. Choose to stand out among the rest and try Airbtics!
Robyn is a passionate content writer about short-term rentals and is dedicated to research & sharing property investment strategies and analysis worldwide. She is a graduate of Alliance Française de Manille, a songwriter, an animal advocate, and an avid fan of The Beatles since birth.